Coalition of Finance Ministers for Climate Action
Korea joins the Coalition of
Finance Ministers for Climate Action
1. Korea joins the Coalition of Finance Ministers for Climate Action
DPM Hong attended the April 2021 Minister-Level Meeting of the Coalition of Finance Ministers for Climate Action on April 6 as Korea joins the partnership in April 2021. At the meeting, DPM Hong emphasized 3 key policy agenda for finance ministers to pursue inclusive and sustainable growth in the post-pandemic era.
1. Support and participation for P4G Seoul Summit which Korea will host in May 30-31 under the theme of ‘Green Recovery and 2050 Carbon Neutrality’.
2. Urged participation of developing countries in the fight against climate change. He also proposed to share Korea’s experience in supporting developing countries’ transition to a low carbon economy.
3. Importance of global cooperation in finance sector to establish win-win policies for all countries as climate change responses have considerable effect on other countries.
2. DPM meets with President for COP 26 Alok Sharma
DPM Hong on April 6 met with COP26 President Alok Sharma in Seoul to discuss climate response policies of Korea and U.K., and ways to strengthen global cooperation on climate action. DPM Hong pledged its cooperation as Korea announced 2050 Carbon Neutrality last December to push towards a sustainable and green economy.
Also, DPM Hong asked for support from U.K. regarding the P4G Seoul Summit which Korea will host in May. President Sharma responded that P4G Summit on the road to 26th UN Climate Change Conference of the Parties will provide a pivotal momentum for climate action.